06 March 2007

The one with the visitors from George


I just love Mondays! Many may find this strange. It’s just that if the brown stuff hits the fan on Friday, you are in trouble (read: screwed); if it happens on a Monday you have enough time to deal with the problem or to delegate the brown stuff...

My brother, Louis, and his wife, Suzette, stayed with us during the weekend. They stopped over en route from Durban and George. Louis is my oldest brother. He left home when I was 16 and I believe the reason for our amicable relationship is based on the fact that weren't in each other's way during our early adult years.

Louis and Suzette were not the only visitors from George. Callie and Jeanne decided to drive up on Friday and were staying in a friend’s apartment a few blocks up Kloof Street. We met up at symphony concert in the Baxter (a long story) and had a late dinner at Arnolds. The photo was taken during breakfast on Sunday. I made (!) French toast... a major achievement, I know ;-)

Please note: there is no real maple syrup in Cape Town. I search high (and low). This is a sad state of affairs. French toast and crispy bacon (Louis showed me how to BAKE bacon) is just not the same without maple syrup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pick 'n Pay Kenilworth has maple syrup (for, like, R60 for a teeny weeny bottle, gasp). If the ol' Kenilworth 'pleps' branch have it, the Gardens snobs one surely stocks it?

Jan-Stefan said...

Mmm - thanks for the tip, Addi. But aren't the snobs in Kenilworth and the plebs in Gardens?

Jan-Stefan said...

Glad to report that I found real Canadian maple syrup at the PnP in Constantia at R70.00 for 250mL.